Daniel Malmer is a software executive and social activist. He was Netscape's first college hire, and went on to co-found several tech startups. His areas of interest include online hate speech, radicalization, and disinformation. He currently serves on the ADL's Pacific Northwest Regional Board and holds computer science degrees from the University of Illinois and Stanford University.
Hands-on engineering leader with a wide range of experience and skills. Current focus involves countering online disinformation, propaganda, and radicalization.
- San Francisco, CA
Master of Science — Computer Science
Stanford University — Stanford, CA
Bachelor of Science — Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Regional Board Member
2019 – Present
Anti-Defamation League — San Franciscco, CA
Fellowship Program Mentor
2015 – Present
Code2040 — San Francisco, CA
Selected Professional Experience
2020 – Present
Center for the Study of Internet Extremism — San Francisco, CA
- Built a framework to analyze over a billion Twitter accounts.
- Advised nonprofit organizations on online disinformation, propaganda, and extremism.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer
2015 – Present
Tentrex Industries, LLC — San Francisco, CA
- Full-stack web application development.
- Executive coaching and management consulting.
- Organizational design.
- Clients include Blendoor, Fondo, and Shippo.
Senior Director of Engineering
2011 – 2014
Simply Hired — Sunnyvale, CA
- Led an engineering organization of twenty people.
- Responsible for web, mobile, and search organizations.
- Improved engineering productivity by 5-10x.
Lead Software Engineer
2010 – 2011
One Kings Lane — San Francisco, CA
- Led an engineering team that delivered One Kings Lane's flash sales platform in six months.
- Launched one of the first ecommerce sites that was served enirely over SSL
- Designed and implemented a PCI-compliant payment service that processed hundreds of millions of dollars in payments.
Founder & Chief Technical Officer
2001 – 2007
Toltec Engineering, Inc. — Mountain View, CA
- Led a thirty-person engineering organization.
- Created AOL Communicator, a suite of productivity tools that included email and secure instant messaging.
Member of Technical Staff
1996 – 1999
Netscape Communications Corporation — Mountain View, CA
- Netscape's first college hire.
- Created enterprise features for the Netscape Navigator and Netscape Communicator web browsers.
San Francisco, CA